Title The life I never imagined
Prompt is love and love is hard though, But Love is not what are you thinking of @
June 1999
Rachel and Delilah decided to take advantage of the beautiful Saturday in early June, which remained strangely still fresh, go for a walk along the banks Ha -Yarkon.
"It's amazing how this neighborhood is turning quickly. If I came here years ago, as I did, you'd find sand and despair ... and now look, they're turning into one of the most beautiful city. "
" That's how I imagine New York, you know? From the stories of my son, at least. "Rachel smiled softly and took her friend by the arm. Delilah did he avoid contact with most of the people had become more open, more confident.
that occasion he had returned a 'second youth' as she put it, or as a joke at a time when Rachel's friend - increasingly rararamente - felt discouraged. "But think about who has the chance to even live three lives in just one?". The Nordic
could only give reason. Sometimes it was hard to recognize in the mirror. He smiled often, was initially tried to accommodate customers, but eventually discovered that smile was more gratifying than to sulk.
Delilah sing again, his voice hoarse with age, but still singing happy tunes.
had nice clothes, now, put a little 'make-up to go out and get to work. Not infrequently some of the elderly gentleman kindly pointed out what was radiant.
The weakness in the heart, which he brought with him many years, it seemed gone.
"You know, I could not sleep tonight, then I did a sketch for that dress wedding that we have ordered. I occurred to a very modern, with ethnic applications, then you'll see. "
" More than you! I'm just curious. "Delilah consented. "I was thinking of designing something special for the birth of my granddaughter."
"Of course! Leah should end time soon, right? "Delilah replied in the affirmative with a nod.
"I guess then you'll want to be a bit 'of your daughter to help her."
"My Leah is very proud. Dislikes that others intrude into his life. "
" I look like. You are tough people. "Remarked the American. As they venture further
in the park ran into a group of students from nearby universities who were studying in a cool, listening to music from a stereo and tasting citrus in the aroma wafted in the air for a good haul.
" Opening the heart to the sky, there's nothing wrong ... do not hide, free your mind "rustled the radio. Delilah
blushed. The was still strange to hear the recorded voice of his son. Rachel took a slap to.
"How sweet you are." He whispered.
"We can not expect someone to be proud of me most of the successes of my child!" He joked. He was a role, that of mother-supporter, which was at ease: somehow managed to regain its influence over a child and it made her happy. Rachel
often teased for what she called 'Jewish matriarchal authority'. Each time the topic came in the protests were unnecessary Delilah. "You never had children, what do you know?" When the other began one of his ironic symposia on certain models of excessive force almost maternal.
Delilah was delighted by hearing the sweet flow of words and read by Rachel, he felt that his was an educated person and he had studied. Sometimes
still trying to absorb that language, but the strong accent and a natural propensity for bluntness prevented her from imitating the prose workplaces.
Leah's apartment had been a sort of invasion of her family that Friday afternoon after the birth of second daughter, Aliza.
Mother and daughter had returned home only three days and had failed to escape the visit of the whole family.
Delilah was almost a bit 'offended because the family's son had gone to first find the mother, despite her and Alon had gone to the hospital the night of the birth.
"But my beautiful niece" said Delilah again, taking in the small arm. "Beautiful, beautiful! My princess! "
" I I am a prince, though! "Roni protested, taking the cotton dress to the hem of her grandmother.
"Let peace in your grandmother up, you big baby." Admonished him Rachel.
"Of course you're a prince." Caressed Alon. "Like all the principles you the rider in front of your sister Aliza."
"But who cares!" Protested the child. "So she did not even consider me. No one considers me. And my mother did not love me any more. I throw away in a basket like Moses. "
" Come, do not be silly. "Rachel hit the baby's head slightly. "What you do not feel your poor mother, imagine the sorrow that you give. "
" Rachel, do not scare. "Ofer whispered, holding the child by the arm. "These women do not understand us." Roni looked at him.
Leah sat in the chair, the sweltering heat did not help her recover from childbirth. And yet she smiled happy that heat.
Amos did not miss the attention, he had traded shifts at work to stay home the night with her.
He was happy for the birth, finally, a little girl.
His mother and Rachel, then, we were keen to get her the necessary care of the child. Even his brothers had not forgotten her: Yoseph had telephoned her, saying that the had sent gifts, information on the condition of the newborn and those of his brother, promising to call her soon.
corner of the room next to her towered a bouquet of red roses, that Alon had delivered the hospital, making it almost feel ashamed for what clearly excessive pomp.
"I need to do some 'expense." Leah whispered.
"Can we go and I Ofer." Rachel is proposed. "So we leave you time for a small family reunion."
"Mom, can I go with Ofer uncle and Aunt Rachel?" Leah smiled good-naturedly, looking Alon.
"Only if you do not mind at Ofer, Roni." Ruled Delilah. Ofer looked at his companion, half frightened, half amused.
"You're monopolizing the niece, Mom!" Joked Alon, once the merry party had left for the mission cost.
Leah laughed.
"Mom, you look younger than twenty years. You're so sweet with Aliza in her arms. "Said the young woman.
"Why do not you let Ofer you face one of his portraits? He would definitely happy. "Alon suggested. Delilah laughed.
"I'm not so fine as to be photographed." But the idea had the pleasure, however. "I hope to keep this wax, and this fighting spirit even when I may face your father for the divorce. "
" It is in ten days, right? "asked Leah. "I'll try to do everything possible to come."
"You're quiet and rest, sister. Can I accompany my mother. "
Delilah strictly forbade his daughter to come to Tel Aviv for the divorce, he wanted to spare her the trip in the summer heat and especially having to painstakingly divide between her and Shmueli.
Delilah's lawyer, a combative Gerosolomitano, his high school classmate of Amos, tried to reassure her.
And then he could count on a large group of 'supporters': his son with his partner, Rachel, which had closed for the occasion the shop, even Adi, who had fallen the night before from Bar Am
As she felt the old friend, now!
And how far it seemed that world closed in the green hills of Galilee.
"The world where we grew up is crumbling before our eyes." Adi told her that night. So
had told her the changes that had taken place even in their village, the introduction of private property phasing out of almost all activities. With a sleepy late, the world had entered politics as an infiltration of water into the walls completely demolishing the Zionist-socialist utopia. Oddly
had not proved nostalgia at the thought that all he had supported for years was gone forever.
"The city life is not bad." He said. "You know, we often go to the theater with Rachel. And we long walks to see the shops. "
He experienced how difficult it was included in the word of his new life.
"But you do not feel alone," asked her friend.
"Not much. I have some trusted friend, just enough to not be alone. And then I have my children, whatever their needs are. "He explained, but read incomprehension in the face of Adi. How much distance separated them now.
But in the end had somehow reconciled, Gripping that night.
And now her friend was beside her, trying to inspire courage.
Shmueli not approached her, not even look at her and she was grateful. He needed to feel distant to avoid being attack again by doubts and regrets. The
notice the hurt look of resentment that rushed Shmueli and Alon, as if they were father and son, but two longtime enemies.
lived the moments before the judge suspended as a cloud, unable to realize what is happening around them. It was only when the lawyer pressed her hand gently and was struck by the warmth of his family that he understood to be free.
truly free, perhaps for the first time in his life.
looking around, almost unconsciously, the ex-husband, but it must have already left the classroom.
Exactly one week after the divorce, he received a phone call from Delilah Shmueli.
What were those first seven days and flew as she felt good and strong!
Rachel had noticed how many times he had to sing while working or surprise as it had been courteous to customers.
The two women were also given a night off for a while 'shopping and a dinner out to celebrate.
Delilah had bought a coral lipstick and a sophisticated fragrance, to be combined with a nice black dress that was sewn specially to go to a concert of his child.
was a practice adopted willingly when commitments allowed him, accompanied him.
In some ways it was a bit 'as if he were returned to small, needed her to have courage and show himself in public and what was more gratifying than to be useful to his son? Leah
sometimes the teasing, reminding her that she had two more children for a few hours and she felt a little 'guilty, but then, when reflected in a clear mind, he knew perfectly well that the good-natured scolding his eldest daughter were only small pinpricks because she forbade her to take care of their grandchildren more than once a week.
When the phone rang, answered, joyfully, convinced that it was Leah. His voice made her jump.
"In the end you got what you wanted." Apostrophe Shmueli, with more fatigue than with anger. "Are you satisfied?"
"Yes," she proclaimed, feeling strong, enjoying a certain freedom. What fun he had! And what was the heady feeling of your own life.
"Now you can finally tell the truth. Is there another? "
" No. There was never another. "
" Liar. "
" It's the truth. I do not need another man, bemet "
" You do not know how to live alone. Froy, you're weak. "Laughed cynically, as if laughter were the last bastion of defense he had left. "I love to have other people's eyes on him, right? I saw you on TV the other day. "
" Our child needs support. "He said, hiding a spontaneous movement of pride.
" Dein Sohn is not able to move a step without his mother-monster?"
"It is also your son."
"No, I have created a reverse. I would have to play louder as a boy, so maybe he would straighten. "
Delilah did not want to embark in yet discussion with Shmueli. In meetings before the hearings each time reproached the conduct of his son, as if it was his fault. Shmueli and Alon was well were not in the same room otherwise, did not doubt, would surely come to blows, and it was a scene that she could not bear.
"Love is love." Uttered.
"What do you know about love, Froy ? The only one I'd have thrown to the wind. "
" Do not call lieben the terrible thing I've done live. Amos and Leah are in love, and Ofer Alon ... "
" Do not try to name that other fag! If I could, shoot a bullet in the forehead. "proclaimed a low voice.
"Our granddaughter is beautiful." Interrupted him.
"Yes, it is. It's a shame he can not see his grandparents together. "
" It is fortunate that we do not see him fight and get us the dishes. "She said.
"Well, I guess this is a farewell call."
"I hope so." He hung up the phone and felt like fainting, my heart went crazy in the chest. Yet now he was strong, felt strong ...
on the couch and slid off the couch to the floor with a thud.
Rachel, frightened by the noise, ran and lifted.
"Is everything okay? Do you want me to call the doctor? "He whispered, stroking her hair.
"Hug." Churches. Only the arms welcoming the friend managed to burst into tears in torrents, with hysterical cries of which would soon regret.
"Do you mind if tonight is a friend to sleep here?" Rachel asked for a late afternoon, and helped her prepare.
"No, not at all. I'll be back very late. "She smiled. "Alon's concert starts at half past ten."
"Thanks." For the first time the friend Delilah noticed embarrassment on her face. "You know, I met a special person." Delilah
instinctively smiled and drove in his heart a bit of envy or jealousy perhaps.
"I'm happy for you." He said, stroking his cheek workplaces.
"It's nice to have a new bit 'of the company after so long." Rachel muttered. "I am convinced that sooner or later be able to find someone too."
"in my life I do not think there is room for another man. Sometimes it is already so full that I can not seem to have more time for me. "
" Well, now you also have a second job as office manager. "He laughed.
"What if it ends in a little while to get ready 'will later. And I would avoid giving a pretext for my son to get excited. "
" It seems to me that Alon was born excited. "Delilah laughed.
"You're right."
Delilah reached the meeting place as the only taxi in modernity that no one had managed to convince her it was taking driver's license.
passed opposite the main entrance of the room, already crowded.
smiled, as if she was the protagonist of the event.
It did leave at the entrance of the artists on the back. The security man, the gun right to view his belt, he would not pass it.
"Go call Alon Gross, then." Soon we missed the guard was laughing in the face.
"If I had to pass all the people telling me so, Gveret , we would row on this side of the room at that." He explained, as is done to children or madmen.
"Then call or adon Witz adon Cohen. And do not make me nervous. "Proclaimed, trying to sound stern.
"Excuse me, but if you are a journalist because it has a card?" Inquired the guardian of order. Was never a quiet old lady who turns out to be a terrorist. You never know what to expect at this time.
"I never said to be a journalist!" was furious, almost on the verge of saying a word. He took the discomfort, that man really did not want to pass it?
Another worker came out from the door of the room and said a few words softly to the man armed.
"Gveret, what's the problem?" He asked, with a persuasive voice to Delilah.
"The problem is that you do not want me to go and I'm running late! My son will not be at all happy when I refer, "he yelled. This could be a good card to play. "It is indecent to treat me this way!" Screamed louder.
"Imma ?" Flashed the familiar voice from the hallway and reassuring of his son. Delilah smiled, anticipating the rematch.
"Adon Gross, there's this woman who is causing us some problems." Said the man arrived for a second, even more mellifluous voice and shy. "But now we solve at once."
"The gveret there is giving any problem." Uttered in a voice resentful. "It is my mother has my permission to be here. And there I had explicitly said. "Alon went out of the shadows, surpassing a stride with the two men embracing and Delilah with sudden start.
His son seemed for a moment a figure out of a school book of the sixties, his shirt open white on the chest and that, severely.
"All right, Imma ? Come, let's go. "He took her arm. "I was worried that you were delaying it so much." He pushed her into the hallway, then turned to the two.
"What a thing does not happen again. I sincerely hope that you have not been disrespectful. "Then he again took his arm.
"I'm scared." Confessed, he stroked her hair.
"I am very sorry. If I had not had an interview just before you'd come for. Next time we'll make sure you come with me. "Decided.
"It would be better, thanks." she pointed out, advancing down the hallway. Politely greeted the staff and particularly managers, Keren Cohen, who had taken a liking to.
Keren was then nearly sixty-five, was now about to retire, but he was fond of 'chance' of that young boy too shy to be on stage.
"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, gveret Gross, are mortified." He said. "And yes we had warned them of your arrival."
"Do not worry, adon Cohen." Delilah blinked.
"Good evening, Delilah. Care for something? "Ofer asked, exiting a room with a sandwich hand and a glass of juice.
"No, thanks. I was wondering where you were kicked out. "He joked. Ofer Alon reached for the sandwich, then sliding a close and stroking her cheek.
"Then after the concert we go to eat something." He whispered, kissing him on the temple.
"But it will not hurt to eat a little before the concert?" Took care Delilah.
"No. If not, then I can not, you know that I have a fast metabolism. "He explained, smiling. "How many minutes are missing," he asked.
"About ten." Keren told him.
"Then you come with me." Ofer whispered, taking a wrist and secure it with Alone in the dressing room.
Delilah smiled, it was already accustomed to their outpourings and not put more embarrassed. In most know that Alon had someone you can count on, even when she did not there would be more reassured.
Of all his children, Alon had always been more in need of pampering and attention. The twins, however, had taken over his father's character and eschews schmaltz.
After ten minutes, Keren knocked on the door of the dressing room. The two young men went out, holding hands. Ofer Alon kissed her, then her mother and disappeared into the stage.
Delilah felt a pang.
---> Continue: Chapter 5 Back: ch.3 \u0026lt;---
0 comments:
Post a Comment